Home Automation forums - UK Automation  
UK Automation Forums
Home automation & home security discussion forum

16th May 2010
javaftper

new/advice

Hello

I am new to X10 hardware. In fact I still haven't worked out exactly what I need to facilitate my requirements. I have written a Java application to run my system which hooks onto the active home Windows DLL so I know what I would like to do if the hardware is available.

Firstly I want to control a few simple on/off devices such as cooling and heating fans in different rooms. This seems easy to achieve with cm15 and am12u.

Secondly I would like to control some AV equipment with infrared. It doesn't appear as though the X 10 equipment provides any infrared support however I think using an am12u and an ir pulsing device I might be able to do something. Has anyone used infrared with X 10 to control stereo amps etc?

Thirdly I have not been able to work out whether I can control a standard uk room light without doing any wiring (I am a tenant and therefo0re not able to re-wire the light switches. To switch lights on and off (dimming is not possible) do I just need an lm15eb? Or do I also need an lm12u to control it?

Thanks
//j
16th May 2010
Automation
Administrator

Hello J

In answer to your questions:

Firstly for controlling your heating/cooling devices, yes the AM12U will do this provided they are within the switching loads of this module. Also consider the X10 Appliance module 2G see:

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/x10-a...le-p-1181.html

Secondly you can control your AV equipment using the X10 Infra-Red transmitter. This has learning capability from your existing AV remote control and commands can be assigned to particular X10 codes allowing IR to be transmitted when the correct X10 is received, see:

http://www.uk-automation.co.uk/x10-i...er-p-1412.html

Thirdly, if you are restricted from replacing switches then your only option for room lights is the LM15EB or LM15ES (bayonet fiiting or ES screw fitting). For table lights you can use the LM12U or AM12U.
17th May 2010
javaftper

follow-up

excellent thanks for your response.

I think I will go for the 2g as I like the idea of a manual on off switch.

The x-10 ir module looks really good and just what I need.

The last question-will the 2g be able to handle the switching load of the product below-http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...eramic+heaters

thanks
//j
4 Weeks Ago
Automation
Administrator

The Appliance module '2G' is rated for a making capacity of 10A for resistive loads, so it should work with the ceramic heater you mentioned.